1300 663 773 (toll free)
The Court Support and Liaison Service provides support to adult and child victims of family violence. Support is available for male and female victims regardless of age or cultural background.
Dedicated Court Support Officers are available State-wide to assist Safe at Home clients with the following
- How to take out a Family Violence Order.
- How to vary or extend an existing Order.
- Provide advice on legal and court processes.
- Provide ongoing updates on progress of a matter through the courts.
Further assistance can be provided by the Court Support Officers as matters proceed through the courts including
- Providing court orientation in the form of a court tour to explain court layout and facilities and the roles of people in the court.
- Accompanying the victim to court and providing support throughout the court process.
- Debriefing following court and discussing the impact of a magistrate/judge’s decisions.
- Follow-up through referral to other services.
These services are free and confidential and are provided by Victim Support Services, Department of Justice.
Aboriginal Court Support Officer
A dedicated Aboriginal Court Support Officer is available to provide support to Aboriginal adult and child victims of family violence. Aboriginal Court Support Officer phone 1300 663 773 (toll free) or (03) 6165 7530
Contact the Court Support and Liaison Service
Telephone: 1300 663 773 (toll free)
Hobart: (03) 6165 7524
Launceston: (03) 6777 2937
Burnie: (03) 6477 7133
1300 366 611 (toll free)
Under the Safe at Home Program, Tasmania Legal Aid has lawyers in Hobart, Launceston, Burnie and Devonport to provide legal advice and assistance to victim-survivors of family violence. Legal Aid's Safe at Home services are free and confidential.
Tasmania Legal Aid's services may include
- Explaining how to take out a Family Violence Order
- Assisting you to complete applications for a Family Violence Order and representing you in Court
- Advising what Family Violence Orders mean and how they affect you
- Providing advice about Family Violence Orders and arrangements in respect of children or property
- providing advice and assistance in relation to applications to extend, vary or revoke existing Family Violence Orders or Police Family Violence Orders
- Providing general advice about Family Law matters, especially where children live and time with others
- Assisting you to apply for a grant of Legal Aid in relation to Family Law matters
- Finding out or explaining to you what criminal charges the offender may be facing and the likely result
- Where Police are making an application for a Police Family Violence Order, assisting you to work with the Police to achieve the outcome you want.
- Tasmania Legal Aid may also provide appropriate referrals, including to the Court Support & Liaison Service, the Family Violence Counselling & Support Service and the Police's Family Violence Unit (FVUs).
For more information visit the Tasmania Legal Aid website (external link)
Or download Legal Aid's Services for Victims of Family Violence information sheet (PDF, 4.1 MB)
Contact Tasmania Legal Aid
Telephone Advice Line: 1300 366 611
Hobart: (03) 6236 3839.
158 Liverpool Street, Hobart
Launceston: (03) 6328 4068
64 Cameron Street, Launceston
Devonport: (03) 6423 8444
8 Griffith Street, Devonport
Burnie: (03) 6432 5000
50 Alexander Street, Burnie