Tasmanian Government Logo
Link to the Tas government site

Safe at Home legal services

Court Support and Liaison Services

Legal Aid Commission of Tasmania

Court Support and Liaison Service – 1300 663 773 (toll free)

The Court Support and Liaison Service provides support to adult and child victims of family violence. Support is available for male and female victims regardless of age or cultural background.

Dedicated Court Support Officers are available Statewide to assist Safe at Home clients with the following

  • How to take out a Family Violence Order
  • How to vary or extend an existing Order
  • Provide advice on legal and court processes
  • Provide ongoing updates on progress of a matter through the courts.

Further assistance can be provided by the Court Support Officers as matters proceed through the courts including

  • Providing court orientation in the form of a court tour to explain court layout and facilities and the roles of people in the court.
  • Accompanying the victim to court and providing support throughout the court process.
  • Debriefing following court and discussing the impact of a magistrate/judge’s decisions.
  • Follow-up through referral to other services..

These services are free and confidential and are provided by Victim Support Services, Department of Justice.

Phone: 1300 663 773 (toll free) or
Hobart: (03) 6165 7524
Launceston: (03) 6777 2937
Burnie: (03) 6477 7133

A dedicated Aboriginal Court Support Officer is available to provide support to Aboriginal adult and child victims of family violence.

Aboriginal Court Support Officer:
Phone: 1300 663 773 (toll free) or (03) 6165 7530
email: court.support@justice.tas.gov.au

Back to top

Legal Aid Commission of Tasmania – 1300 366 611 (toll free)

Under the Safe at Home Program, the Legal Aid Commission has Legal Officers in Hobart, Launceston and Burnie/Devonport to provide legal advice and assistance to victims of family violence.

Legal Aid may:

  • Explain how to take out a Family Violence Order.
  • Assist in completion of applications for Family Violence Orders and provide representation in Court for the application.
  • Advise about what Orders mean, how they affect the victim and what orders would enable the victim to make necessary arrangements for children and property.
  • Advise and/or assist in relation to applications to extend, vary (change) or revoke (remove) Family Violence Orders and Police Family Violence Orders.
  • Advise and assist the victim in relation to charges of inciting a breach of a Family Violence Order.
  • Give general advice about Family Law matters, especially children's residence and contact and help the victim apply for a grant of aid for a Family Lawyer to act on their behalf.
  • Help the victim find out what is happening to the offender's criminal charges in the Magistrates Court and what is likely to happen as a result.
  • Where Police are making an application on the victim's behalf, talk with them to help the victim achieve the outcome they would like.

The Legal Aid Commission may also provide appropriate referrals to the Court Support and Liaison Service, the Family Violence Counselling & Support Service and the Police's Family Violence Unit (FVUs).

Legal Aid Safe at Home services are free and confidential.

Telephone Advice Line - 1300 366 611

Address: 158 Liverpool Street, Hobart
Phone: (03) 6236 3800

Address: 64 Cameron Street, Launceston
Phone: (03) 6336 2050

Address: 8 Griffith Street, Devonport
Phone: (03) 6421 7870

Address: 50 Alexander Street, Burnie
Phone: (03) 6434 6444

Back to top